***Please see registration forms for options and fee structure.***
You have made the single biggest decision you will have to make on your entire RAGBRAI experience – except maybe what type of pie you will enjoy!
Below is information needed to assist in securing your reservation with RAGBRAI’s Official Charter; Bubba’s PAMPERED Pedalers. It’s really more than a charter service, it’s a PAMPERING service! This charter will fill fast so reservations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
What you need to know first off!
If you have been waiting to experience RAGBRAI on a year that the route is not so hard, this is your year. This year’s route is remarkable for its ease, length and pitch. At 418 miles and with 11,316 feet of climb, it is the third-shortest and second-flattest route in history. There has only been one route since RAGBRAI began in 1973 that was less difficult by those criteria. Because of this, registrations will be coming in faster than years past. Do not wait too long to register for this charter if you wish to PAMPER RAGBRAI 2014 and see what Bubba means when saying “It’s ALL Good”!
- Starting town; Rock Valley Non-Riding Day
- Sunday Rock Valley to Okoboji Mileage 69
- Monday Okoboji to Emmesburg Mileage 41
- Tuesday Emmesburg to Forest City Mileage 73
- Wednesday Forest City to Mason City Mileage 36
- Thursday Mason City to Waverly Mileage 63
- Friday Waverly to Independence Mileage 68
- Saturday Independence to Guttenberg Mileage 68
Guttenberg, the ending town, is where this charter will depart from on Saturday July 19. Details with times and locations will be announced once Guttenberg has confirmed needed information. You can also be part of this charter by starting in Rock Valley however this charter does not offer return transportation at the end of RAGBRAI.
You will/must register as an individual with RAGBRAI. No “bandits” will be allowed. Please, do not worry if you will be selected in the lottery, most all are. If by chance you are not, there are always rider numbers available through cancellations. With that worry out of the way, the next step is simple. Fill out the charter registration forms and relax knowing everything else will be taken care of for you.
Reminder. Do not wait for your rider number before registering for this charter. This charter will fill sooner than RAGBRAI. If you meet all of RAGBRAI deadlines in registering you will receive a rider number.
The ending town of Guttenberg, IA is really small. How small? Well small enough to have no real hotel accommodations. So, unlike years past, there will be no host hotel in the ending town where charter check-in can take place. Most likely, charter check-in will take place at the long-term parking area which Guttenberg will assign sometime in May. So for now, we just must be patient for charter check-in information. As soon as it is know, the information will be disseminated.
Q: So, since there are no hotel rooms available in Guttenberg, what am I supposed to do about lodging Friday night July 18?
A: You have two choices, neither too far away from Guttenberg. The closest town to Guttenberg which will be able to accommodate lodging needs for Friday July 18 is Prairie du Chein, WI which is about 23 miles east of Guttenberg just across the Mississippi River. The next closest town would be Dubuque, IA which is about 40 miles southeast of Guttenberg. When making your lodging choice, please remember to take in consideration travel time Saturday morning July 19. You will need to be in Guttenberg no later than 7 AM that morning for check-in, bike loading as well as motor coach. Since these two towns will be busy with RAGBRAI riders needing lodging for that Friday, I strongly suggest you make your lodging reservations sooner rather than later.
Q: What about long-term parking, where will that be and how will that work?
A: Long term parking will be announced by the ending town sometime in May and will be posted and sent to registered charter riders via email.
Q: What about the Saturday the ride ends, how does that work?
A: You will bike to the long-term parking area where your baggage will be off-loaded waiting for your arrival.
Q: What if I will not be having a vehicle with me?
A: Unlike years past, due to the small size of the ending town, there is no host hotel which means you will have to find your way to the long-term parking area where the charter check-in will take place.
Q: What about those who will be joining the charter at the starting town?
A: Your check-in will be at the charter’s camping location anytime after 2 PM Saturday. The camping location for Rock Valley will not be known until early May
****Times for charter check-in, bike loading, and motor coach departure will be announced at a later time.
As a cyclist, your host Bubba understands what the bicyclist wants/needs on a multi-day event. Bubba also understands RAGBRAI having both ridden it many times as well as being part of the RAGBRAI staff for several years. So, here is what is included;
- Motor coach service to the RAGBRAI start town from the ending town
- Bike transportation provided by a professional moving service to the RAGBRAI starting location from the ending town
- Reserved camping locations
- Tent and air mattress service – we supply you with a quality tent and air mattress AND we put up them up and take them down every day, even in the rain.
- Bubba designed T-Shirt
- Also included for FREE are the following:
- Bag delivery to your tent
- The PAMPER Zone canopies provide shade for sharing your daily RAGBRAI pictures, stories and experiences or to take a nap
- Camp chair
- Cold drinks (non-alcoholic)
- Disposable Shower Towel; Showers are not always on-site but close
- Cell phone charging
- Bicycle work-station (work stand, floor pumps, shop rags)
- Morning Coffee. Oh yea!
What’s NOT Included!
Hassles, headaches or fussin – if anything comes up, let us know and we will work with you to resolve it.
Registration is easy – just go to the Official RAGBRAI website and fill out the forms. Everyone who registers for this charter MUST be a registered rider before the event starts. Once again, NO bandits will be allowed. Remember, if you follow RAGBRAI posted schedule for registering, you will get a riders number. Also, do not wait until you are officially notifed you are in before registering for this charter which will fill before RAGBRAI.
The Daily Drill!
Each rider will be allowed two pieces of baggage each bag not to exceed 40 pounds each. Upon check-in, you will be provided with two baggage tags which must be attached to your bags. No baggage will be allowed on the baggage truck with the proper baggage tag attached. Your bags will be transported to the next overnight town in an enclosed baggage truck. If you will need assistance getting your bag on the truck each morning, please contact one of the staff who will assist you. Additional baggage tags are available at $50 per tag.
That’s it – fill your water bottles, apply sun screen and enjoy your ride. We will see you at the finish with shade, a chair and something cold to drink in the PAMPER Zone!
The Fine Print!
Please read the following information very closely. If, when planning your trip, you feel you cannot possibly make these time tables, this may not be the charter for you. Remember, this is a GROUP activity. In fairness to everyone, these schedules will be strictly adhered to:
Rider Check-in for the Charter
Check-in for this charter will be Saturday July 19 starting 6 AM at the charter long-term parking area.
The professionals (not two high school kids on the back of a rental truck) will:
- Wrap each bicycle in its own thick moving blanket
- To avoid damage to your bike and belongings, please remove beforehand your bike bags, cycle computers, and anything else which takes up more room that the normal bike frame. Pack these items with your baggage; do not leave them hanging on your bike. Pedals and rear racks do not need to be removed nor do your handle bars need to be turned.
- Bicycle loading starts at 6 AM of Saturday July 19, 2014 at the long-term parking area. All bicycles must be on the moving van by 8:00 am
- If your bike is not loaded on the moving van by the stated departure times, your bike will become your responsibility. NO BIKES WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE BUSSES.
Since this is the start of your RAGBRAI experience, we will make your trip as comfortable as possible.
- Transportation to the Start – It’s a bit of a hike to the western Iowa border, so the buses will load starting at 8:30 AM Saturday July 19, 2014 at the long-term parking area
- The bus will NOT wait for YOU, so don’t be late. If for any reason you fail to be on the bus when it departs, it will be your responsibility to get to the respective destination.
- Stow your bags in the compartments under the bus. Any carry on items such as a pillow, must fit in the overhead bins.
- Bringing a full water bottle is always a good idea as well as a snack if you wish
- There will be a one hour lunch stop at the half-way point
1. So, what if I am new to RAGBRAI, what should I expect?
If you are a RAGBRAI virgin, here are some things you need to know:
- RAGBRAI is the largest week long bicycle event in the world. It is also one of the biggest revenue producing events yearly for the State of Iowa. RAGBRAI is a very unique event indeed.
- You will need to be flexible, understanding, and patient all the while keeping a good attitude. No whining is ever allowed on RAGBRAI. Part of your RAGBRI experience will be standing in lines and using Porta-Poties or KYBO’s as the Iowans call them
- Don’t come if you plan to diet. You will miss out on lots of great food freshly prepared by the citizens of Iowa.
- There is no opportunity to be shy while riding with thousands and thousands of other riders, camping among thousands of others, listening to great music daily, seeing things on a bike you never imagined you would ever see and enjoying the hospitality of Iowa.
- No RAGBRAI experience is complete without using Iowa corn fields as restrooms.
Bubba says, “The Iowa corn tastes different for two reasons: Number One and Number Two!”
So, come prepared to have a great time while maintaining a great attitude and remain flexible. Remember, No Whining is ever Allowed.
2. So, will the Bubba’s PAMPERED Pedalers be camping close to where the action is?
All charters, including the Bubba’s, are pre-assigned camping locations by each over-nights camping committee. The camping committees take good care of the charters and things usually work out great. It should go without saying, Bubba will do everything possible to assure the very best camping locations available however, we will be at the mercy of the camping committee. In years past, the majority of the camping locations assigned to Bubba’s PAMPERED Pedalers have been great but again, they are pre-assigned. What Bubba can promise is to make your RAGBRAI camping experience as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.
3. So, what time do I have to be moving in the morning?
The baggage truck will leave at 7:30 AM sharp. This should give you plenty of time since you will not be dealing with taking down a tent. That is our job, remember?
You will need to be out of your tent no later than 7 AM to allow the staff to start the take-down process. It is very important for Bubba’s staff to get on the road to the next location as soon as possible in order to have things ready for your arrival.
4. What about baggage, how much can I bring?
Since Bubba supplies everything but bedding and your clothing, how many bags do you need? Each rider is allowed two pieces of baggage not to exceed 40 pounds per bag. Extra baggage tags can be purchased for an additional $50 per tag. As a point of reference, RAGBRAI allows only ONE bag per rider and those poor souls have to pack a tent, mattress, and towels.
5. Can I charge my “stuff”?
There will be a charging station which will be available to charter members for personal items. Bring home charger, not car charger.
6. So, will Bubba guarantee me a RAGBRAI rider number?
No charter, Bubba’s charter included, can guarantee you a RAGBRAI rider number. You will have to register for RAGBRAI on your own. If you register for RAGBRAI early , you will have no problem getting a rider number. Please check on the RAGBRAI web site for details about registering and receiving your rider number. NO BANDIT RIDERS WILL BE ALLOWED ON this CHARTER! You MUST be a registered RAGBRAI rider with a rider number to be part of Bubba’s Charter. If by chance you did not register with RAGBRAI in time, there is a RAGBRAI Forum which riders can purchase wrist bands from other rides. There are always rider numbers available to purchase those needing to cancel.
7. So, what if I need to cancel for some reason?
Bubba understands things happen which are out of any ones control. So, here is the cancellation policy.
- If you cancel before May 20, 2014, you will receive a full refund minus a $250 cancellation fee.
- Sorry, due to contractual obligations, no refund will be offered for ANY REASON after May 20, 2013. Please, do not make Bubba the bad guy by asking. Really, for contractual reasons, it just cannot be done for ANY reasons.
- Trip insurance is available from various sources
8. If I need to cancel 30 days prior to the ride start, can I sell my RAGBRAI registration.
There is a forum on the RAGBRAI site which will assist you in selling your rider number.
9. So, many riders will Bubba’s PAMPERED Pedalers be taking?
Bubba’s Charter will accept registrations from the first 150 riders only. These slots will be booked rather quickly after which a “want-list” will be maintained.
10. So, what is the cost for the Bubba’s PAMPERED Pedalers Charter?
Well, that depends on which tent option you chose; single in a regular tent, single in a Bubba Dome, Double in a regular tent, Double in a Bubba Dome. Pricing for all options are available on the registration form. Click here to see registration form
What is the difference between a regular tent and a Bubba Dome? Size, yes it does matter! The regular tent is a four person tent which is plenty big enough, even for two people. The Bubba Dome is a really, really, really big six person tent. The biggest difference is you can actually stand and walk about in a Bubba Dome. Ah, stand to get dressed, YES!
11. Do we need to send in the total amount at the time of registration?
Full payment is required at time of charter registration. Sorry, no credit cards.
So, are you ready for RAGBRAI however with NONE of the HASSLE?
You ride your bike, Bubba and his staff will do everything else. That’s right,
“No Bull—Just Bike”
Come find out firsthand what Bubba means when saying;
“It’s ALL Good”
Bubba has ridden in over 40 week long tours all over the country as well as a solo, self-contained, cross country on a recumbent pulling a BOB trailer.
In addition, Bubba has ridden RAGBRAI numerous times and has actually worked for RAGBRAI for several years as part of the official RAGBRAI Crew.
Bubba founded Bubba’s PAMPERED Pedalers in 2002 and has been PAMPERING riders ever since.
Bubba also is the proud host of BubbaFest—Florida Keys which is held the first full week of November. BubbaFest—Florida Keys is more than a bike ride, it’s a Keys Experience.
Bubba also leads a group of bicyclists on a cross country bicycle tour called Coast 2 Coast each spring. Coast 2 Coast goes from San Diego, CA. to St. Augustine, FL.
Bubba is a proud member of the National Bike Tour Directors Association.
***Please see registration forms for options and fee structure.***